Monday, May 26, 2008

"Philadelphia, not LA..."

If you don't recognize the title of this post it is from a song Dave and Stu made up as missionaries (I mainly put it on because it talks about Philly). Well, I would have finished our Philadelphia posts on this post however, the blog sight decided that it could no longer download pictures so I just took what I could and I will have to write more later. Sorry to drag it on :)

On the Saturday before we left we went with Tyler and Becca to a Cuban Restaurant in downtown Philly. It was called Alma de Cuba and it was a really nice restaurant. When our server came to take our order he first tried to get us to order some cocktails etc. and we all asked for water. It was like a switched flipped and we were no longer of interest to him, kind of like he was thinking "Let's get this over with."

When he came back for our actual food order I proceeded to only want to order some rolls because I had been sick (you don't want to know the details) which made him even less happy. He tried to offer other dishes that he thought would be good on a weak stomach such as - a sandwich with Di Jon mustard? Um... that doesn't work for me. But he did suggest tapioca pudding. So I thought that if I couldn't order liquor to appease him I could order some tapioca pudding. Below is a picture of said tapioca pudding.

Oh, did I fail to mention that this restaurant is kind of fancy? That coconut shell right there, that is my tapioca pudding. Because the coconut is still in it there was not much room for the tapioca, maybe three bites. On the leaf next to it are some mango bars. Mmm... they were actually pretty good. And both of these food items are served on top of ice. I'm sure you are wondering what the brown flakes are, they are shaved coconut. Talk about presentation.


After we ate at the restaurant we went over to the tourist area of Philadelphia, I wanted to see the mint but sadly the mint is not open on Saturdays. We took a picture in front of Independence Hall. You can barely see it in the background there between the quote rock and us.

While on our excursion that day Dave and I had a wonderful time trying to feed Patten lunch. It was pineapple and ham which I though was pretty good but Patten didn't take to it too well. Since we've come home he has learned to like it.
On Sunday we went to church with Becca and Ty. That was definitely different compared to church in Salt Lake. It was a fun experience. It was mothers day and the Primary kids sang in sacrament meeting. There was a great spirit there. After sacrament meeting I went with Becca to her Sunday school class. The kids she teaches are great. They were practicing a play of one of the members favorite scripture stories for a "going away" celebration because a lot of the members were leaving soon because school was out and a bunch of people had graduated. Her class was doing the story of Abanadi. Becca asked if they remembered the story from a few weeks ago and one of the kids, name Surprise, piped right up and new every part of the story. It was awesome, Becca was beaming (and rightfully so) because he remembered what she had taught. I had to leave her class a little early because Patten was having a hard time. I ended up in the mothers room and met some sisters from there. They were all really sweet. After I finally calmed Patten down. I went into the Primary room where Dave, Ty and Becca were. The kids were making flowers for their mothers. But sadly not all of the kids had mothers. One of Becca's girls said this to Dave and Dave said " You can give it to my wife." And she beamed. I have the flower sitting on my dresser drawers right now.
Well, that is about the end of the trip. We'll tell you more about the middle of the trip later when we can get the pictures to upload.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Krissy, Dave, and Patten:

I have been to the Cuban restaurant. Interesting.

Love the history in Philly. So glad you guys could spend some time with Tyler and Becca.

I love reading about your trip.

Love, Dad J.

Papa Paradigm said...

Hey, that's cool! I didn't know you guys went to Philly. I knew you went on vacation but all the way to Philly, wow. How fun.
It's cool reading your blog. I hope you don't mind I added you guys to my link list, please let me know if you want me to remove it.
We'll be seeing you around.